Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Sunday, April 10, 2016

CONTENTEDNESS IN HINDSIGHT

Why is it things always look better after you lose them? 

What is it about humans that makes us want what we don't have and not appreciate what we do have until we no longer have it?

I have lived in my current apartment for just shy of two years and have had multiple complaints about it; my upstairs neighbor is noisy, it gets incredibly damp in the humid summer (basement apartment), there's not enough light, various bugs and ants visit me and the forced air heat is annoying (too hot, followed by too cold). Trivial complaints really, but complaints none the less.  What I have failed at recognizing is all the benefits that come with this place. There's a fenced-in ball field across the street where many people bring their dogs, hence I've met a lot of my neighbors. There's free parking and a small backyard. Rent is cheap and the street is quiet with very little traffic. Plus, it's a one bedroom and since living alone I've always rented cheap bachelors. Did I appreciate any of this? At first, absolutely, but after a while the cons of the place became more prevalent in my mind than the pros.

But now I love my apartment!

The funny things is, once I showed my friend the place and he liked it, I immediately didn't want to leave it. "What is this I'm feeling?" I asked myself at the time. It seems to be akin to what we do as children when another kid has our toy that we previously didn't really care about. All of a sudden it's the BEST toy in the world and the ONLY one we want to play with.We didn't appreciate it until there was a threat of no longer having it. Is there any kind of evolutionary need for this type of reaction?

I now find myself waking up absolutely in LOVE with my bed and taking note of how cozy and warm I am. I bask in the light that fills my bedroom and stay in bed as long as I can. I will be giving said bed to my nephew when I leave. He will enjoy it too, I know, and I am happy to give it to him. I'm hoping my camper bed will be just as comfortable and I won't freeze in the Nova Scotia Spring!

In the big picture I wonder if this is how I've spent my entire life? There's always something better "out there". Always a bigger adventure, more interesting geography, a more fitting job, a better place to live where I will finally be content. But that cliche saying is true, wherever you go, there you are. And here I go again!

Do you take time to be grateful for what you have? Or do things always seem better in hindsight?

3 comments:

  1. For some, maybe it's the idea of leaving something in the past in order to move to a new chapter that brings contentedness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I used to read your old blog, and was eager to read this new blog that you started last year. I was cleaning up my Feedly account and it made me think of this blog and how I hadn't seen a post in awhile. Do you think you'll ever return to blogging? Miss your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Life has taken some unexpected turns, as it does, and I am no longer traveling with my camper. I hadn't even thought about the blog I started. If I manage to hit the road again I will certainly start writing again but it doesn't seem to be in my immediate future, unfortunately. Thanks for writing me!

    ReplyDelete